Replaces competitor's model; reduces maintenance costs
One of Griffin's customers from a southeastern state uses a process that recompounds plastic pellets with an additive which creates a new polymer with different characteristics. The recompounding process operates at an elevated temperature of 280° F and includes a pneumatic conveying system to move the pellets within the plant. A filter receiver is installed at the end of the pneumatic line. The original filter receiver, not manufactured by Griffin, had been installed by the pneumatics supplier and was misapplied from the start. It used pleated media which plugged constantly, causing the production line to be shut down and taxing the company's maintenance budget with the repeated filter change-outs.
Prior to meeting with Griffin engineers, the customer had been addressing the dust problem simply but ineffectively by making frequent filter replacements. This was an unacceptable solution, not only because of the company's lost production time, but also because of the cost of labor and materials to replace the filters.
The customer contacted Griffin's local representative to tackle the problem since Scott had previously sold them other Griffin equipment. Griffin recommended that a new filter receiver with more capacity that the existing unit to be installed. The customer was already familiar with Griffin's product reliability, durability and competitive prices. They also wanted the ability to have interchangeable parts with collectors installed on other product lines. For this project, Griffin engineers selected a Griffin Model CV-30-L.
The CV-30-L has several features which helped solve this customer's problem:
- A properly designed material deflector inlet section helps direct a majority of the heavy dust load down to the hopper where it is discharged from the collector without contacting the filter media.
- The 51" bag length and selection of singed polyester felt allows the pulse cleaning to work efficiently.
- The unit is designed to keep the interstitial velocity within the collector low, avoiding re-entrainment of dust pulsed off the bags during cleaning.
- The hopper level indicator adds an extra measure of insurance that there won't be dust build-up in the hopper.
- Since the installation of the Griffin collector, maintenance has been reduced to a minimum. The customer will continue to purchase pneumatics systems from their supplier, but they will specify that a Griffin filter receiver must be used.